Software Development Apprentice
We are the leading national independent auction group, led by quality people, driving the future of the remarketing industry through leading results, innovation, investment, excellence in technology and exceptional service.
Our mission is to bring new perspectives, energy and more innovative ways of working to extend our value within the automotive industry.
We are looking for a Software Development Apprentice to join our IT Team, based in Wakefield. The successful candidate will be responsible for supporting the development and maintenance of software applications and web platforms across the group's businesses. This is an excellent opportunity for someone looking to kick-start their career in software and web development while learning from experienced professionals in a dynamic and supportive environment.
- Carry out software development to meet the requirements of the business.
- Fulfil the learning requirements for the Apprenticeship qualification.
- Support IT projects.
- Assist in the development, testing, and maintenance of software applications and web platforms.
- Collaborate with team members to design, implement, and integrate new features
- Debug and troubleshoot software and web applications.
- Participate in code reviews and follow established best practices.
- Implement APIs and integrate with third-party services.
- Write unit tests and perform integration testing.
- Participate in the development process, including daily stand-ups, sprint planning, and retrospectives.
- Assist in the investigation and resolution of software and web application issues.
- Follow coding best practice and quality standards.
- Meet all deadlines in relation to the apprenticeship qualification.
- Seek out guidance and feedback at every opportunity, to allow the best possible results.
- Ensure regular progress discussions with line manager and tutor.
- Develop your knowledge and capabilities to undertake the role.
- Assist and participate in IT and other departmental specialist projects where requested.
- Contribute to project documentation, including user guides, technical specifications, and test plans.
- Undertake other ad-hoc duties as required.
- Currently pursuing or recently completed a relevant certification in computer science, software engineering, web development, or a related field.
- Basic knowledge of programming languages, such as Python, Java, or C#.
- Familiarity with version control systems (e.g., Git) is advantageous but not essential.
- Ability to prioritise tasks to meet deadlines.
- Good organisational and administration skills.
As part of the apprenticeship you will complete a Level 4 Qualification. Your college work will mean attending online learning and the learning aspect will occupy 20% of your employed time with the rest spent learning on the job and supporting the team.
40 hours per week, Monday to Friday, £15,000 per annum, increasing upon successful completion of the apprenticeship.
We offer a fantastic range of benefits that reflect the value we place on our employees and help make Aston Barclay Group a great place to work. These include:
- 25 days leave per annum + bank holidays
- The ability to purchase upto an additional 5 days leave per annum
- Enhanced sick/maternity/paternity/adoption policies
- Healthcare Cashback scheme on costs such as Dental, Optical and Physiotherapy
- Access to an online rewards scheme that gives you discounts and money back on everything from fashion, holidays, entertainment, car hire, health and beauty and even weekly shopping from major supermarkets
- Free Employee Assistance Program (also available to family dependants)
- Life assurance cover 2 x salary
- Christmas savings scheme
- Length of service awards
- Refer a friend recruitment incentive scheme
- Early finish on your birthday