Senior Backend Web Developer - Fixed Term Contract
We are the leading national independent auction group, led by quality people, driving the future of the remarketing industry through leading results, innovation, investment, excellence in technology and exceptional service. Our mission is to bring new perspectives, energy and more innovative ways of working to extend our value within the automotive industry.
We have a exciting opportunity for a Senior Backend Software Developer to join our busy IT team. This role reports to the Senior Systems Architect. This is a 12 month fixed term contract to support with some IT projects.
The role can be based from home, any of our 6 sites or a hybrid approach can be taken.
Principle Responsibilities include:
- Take responsibility for development of new features and continuous improvement of Aston Barclay’s applications assuring the provision of a coherent and reliable system which meets the needs of our customers and staff.
- Champion continuous improvement and a culture of high quality throughout the function – promote and embed quality techniques which help deliver ‘right-first-time’, ‘speed-to-value’ and total team productivity.
- Support the timely, high-quality delivery of change projects.
- Plan and carry out software development to meet the requirements of the business.
- Incorporate best practices for quality and long-term maintainability of delivered applications, including incorporation of automated testing into development.
- Select and implement appropriate development tools and libraries.
- Work closely with BAs and business stakeholders to design coherent UX
- Work closely with QAs to identify, track and resolve issues, bugs and errors.
- Assist with troubleshooting issues.
- Continually document software as it is delivered.
- Work closely with other developers, QAs, BAs and business stakeholders to assure high-quality of delivered software which meets the business intent.
- Collaborate with other developers, QAs, BAs and business stakeholders to develop project plans.
- Identify, communicate and manage development issues in a clear, accurate and collaborative manner – always focusing on desired business outcomes and maintainability of solutions.
- Attend and actively participate in project meetings.
- Work with BAs and business stakeholders to understand business intent and desired outcomes.
- Work towards the IT strategy and continuously strive to achieve the goals set out.
- Recognise routine tasks as learning opportunities and identify improvements.
- Lead and contribute towards process improvements – champion a quality culture and contribute process, techniques and tools.
- Utilise problem solving skills to efficiently resolve IT issues.
- Drive project and working practice improvements aligned with the overall IT strategy.
- Assist and participate in IT and other departmental specialist projects where requested.
- Provide assistance as and when required in relation to internal/external audits.
- Undertake other ad-hoc duties as required.
- Extensive experience of working with Java and SQL databases.
- Familiarity with Spring Boot framework and PostgreSQL.
- Experience of AWS cloud features and APIs.
- Familiar with Git version control, continuous integration, and unit testing.
- Understanding of the software development process – including Agile.
- Experience of data management.
- Good stakeholder management skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Analytical mind and problem-solving aptitude.
- Strong organisational skills.
40 hours per week, Monday to Friday. Competitive salary.
We offer a fantastic range of benefits that reflect the value we place on our employees and help make Aston Barclay Group a great place to work. These include:
- 25 days leave per annum plus bank holidays
- The ability to purchase up to an additional 5 days leave per annum
- Enhanced sick/maternity/paternity/adoption policies
- Healthcare Cashback scheme on costs such as Dental, Optical and Physiotherapy
- Access to an online rewards scheme that gives you discounts and money back on everything from fashion, holidays, entertainment, car hire, health and beauty and even weekly shopping from major supermarkets
- Free Employee Assistance Program (also available to family dependants)
- Life assurance cover 2 x salary
- Christmas savings scheme
- Length of service awards
- Refer a friend recruitment incentive scheme
- Onsite gym and canteen
- Early finish on your birthday